One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A highly valued person, especially an athlete.
- ‘When the multi-talented athlete fresh from the south side of Chicago first came to professional ranks in the Expos system in 1991, he had the look of a blue chipper.’
- ‘Now, many blue chippers go right from high school to the NBA.’
- ‘Her future coach is delighted that he was able to persuade these blue chippers to remain close to home.’
- ‘Still, despite the uncertainty at a few positions, the Scorpions mix of high-ceiling blue chippers and sure-bet second tier prospects should make for quite a few trips around the bases.’
- ‘If ‘nearly all of their blue chippers… performed well’ then why are they all the way down at 8?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.