Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A highly valued person, especially an athlete.
- ‘Still, despite the uncertainty at a few positions, the Scorpions mix of high-ceiling blue chippers and sure-bet second tier prospects should make for quite a few trips around the bases.’
- ‘If ‘nearly all of their blue chippers… performed well’ then why are they all the way down at 8?’
- ‘Now, many blue chippers go right from high school to the NBA.’
- ‘Her future coach is delighted that he was able to persuade these blue chippers to remain close to home.’
- ‘When the multi-talented athlete fresh from the south side of Chicago first came to professional ranks in the Expos system in 1991, he had the look of a blue chipper.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.