1An official book listing government officials.
- ‘The biographical data on assemblymen has been compiled from the California Blue Book for the years 1893-1911.’
- ‘It also has lists government offices and administrative bodies and is a useful supplement to the Blue Book.’
- ‘One of the many books we receive at the newspaper office is the Mississippi Blue Book, the official and statistical register for our great state.’
- 1.1British A report bound in a blue cover and issued by Parliament or the Privy Council.
- ‘According to the draft, the new blue book highlights the importance Japan attaches to civil societies.’
- ‘Much of it, and that often the most revealing and significant is not what appears in… speeches, reports, and blue books.’
- ‘One has to assume, does one not, that in certifying the agreement, the Commission proceeded on the basis of, is it section 89 in the blue book - I am lost again - section 89?’
- ‘Sources said yesterday that no precise forecasts would be made until after the publication of the so-called blue book, which will revise growth figures back to 1994.’
- 1.2trademark A reference book listing the prices of used cars.
- ‘Go check the "blue book" was once the mantra for anyone selling or buying a used car.’
- ‘On the buying side, I would make sure you check the Blue Book for private party sales.’
- ‘Since 1926, new and used car buyers and sellers have relied upon Kelley Blue Book for authoritative and unbiased information to make well-informed car, truck and SUV buying decisions.’
- 1.3An authoritative handbook, e.g., a listing of socially prominent people.
- ‘As industrialization twisted and strained the English class structure, breeders created elaborate class systems, replete with blue books and pedigrees patterned after those of the nobility, for horses and dogs.’
2US A blank book used for written examinations in high school and college.
- ‘The assessment of writing no longer means only grading papers or getting some clerical employee to hand out blue books and machine-scorable pamphlets and answer sheets.’
- ‘Please open your blue books and write at least 300 words on this theme: According to Pablo Picasso good art is created, but great art is stolen.’
- ‘Since the normal expected time was three blue books per hour, Sidney was suspicious of a slovenly job.’
- ‘The cards and their wrappers ought to be manufactured with 100 percent recycled blue books and undergraduate student papers.’
- ‘They have an irritating habit of writing, in the margins of blue books, ‘Where is the argument?’’