One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A low-growing plant of the borage family that bears bright blue flowers and spreads by means of runners.
- ‘Virginia bluebells, wild sweet William and blue-eyed Mary are never disappointing.’
- ‘For visitors, blue-eyed Marys and Virginia bluebells provide a visual delight in the spring.’
- ‘First they were interspersed in the carpet of blue-eyed Marys and then they formed their own carpet as the terrain sloped up into the highlands.’
- ‘The wildflower carpet is a spectacular mix of white large-flowered trillium, blue-eyed Marys, bloodroot, hepatica, celandine poppy, dutchman's breeches and squirrel corn.’
- ‘Native plants include wildflowers like camas, chocolate lilies, lupines, blue-eyed Marys and shooting stars, plus lots of native grasses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.