Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A format of DVD designed for the storage of high-definition video and data.
- ‘The 30 second spot focuses just on the exclusive games, without mentioning the Blu-ray or Home.’
- ‘Though this Blu-ray isn't destined to become the disc by which all other Blu-rays are judged, it's still an impressive package.’
- ‘According to the Blu-ray Disc Association, the spelling of "Blu-ray" is not a mistake.’
- ‘However, this Blu-ray is probably not the way to experience the film.’
- ‘Despite its flawed story structure, The Tale of Despereaux looks flawless on Blu-ray.’
- ‘Now the folks at Universal are re-releasing the adventures of amnesiac secret agent Jason Bourne on Blu-ray.’
- ‘To me, some DVDs look more like 35 mm than Blu-ray does.’
- ‘The consumer-electronics industry is favoring an approach called Blu-ray, while most of the entertainment industry has gotten behind a rival standard called HD-DVD.’
- ‘Of the many Fox catalog titles out on the video market, Battle of Britain was an intriguing choice to release on Blu-ray.’
- ‘The movie is a stunner on Blu-ray, noticeably crisper and cleaner than its standard DVD version.’
- ‘And it seems, as a consumer, that there are a lot more titles that are exclusively Blu-ray than exclusively HD.’
- ‘The unit's technology, dubbed Blu-ray, relies on short-wavelength blue lasers instead of garden-variety red.’
- ‘I'm a little torn whether to recommend the transfer to Blu-ray.’
- ‘The image quality on this Blu-ray is among the most film-like I have ever seen.’
- ‘Now the Western finally debuts on Blu-ray, giving viewers the opportunity to watch this epic movie event in stunning high definition.’
- ‘I think Blu-ray is a transitional format that won't last long.’
- ‘The audiovisual specs of the Blu-ray are top-shelf.’
- ‘IT makes good use of Blu-ray's added functionality.’
- ‘The name Blu-ray is derived from the underlying technology, which utilizes a blue-violet laser to read and write data.’
- ‘Presented in 1.85:1 1080 p widescreen, High School Musical 3 is far from the most impressive Blu-ray on the Disney slate.’
Early 21st century: from blu, a respelling of blue (from the color of the laser used to read and write this type of DVD), + ray.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.