One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or characteristic of the American linguist Leonard Bloomfield or his theories.‘linguistics in the Bloomfieldian traditions’
- ‘A good deal of linguistics, both in the Bloomfieldian and the Chomskyan traditions, has simply ignored semantics.’
- ‘I dare say that first-year linguistics courses are still basically Bloomfieldian in orientation.’
- ‘American linguistics was dominated by Bloomfieldian descriptivism.’
A follower of the theories of the American linguist Leonard Bloomfield.‘the older generation of Bloomfieldians found themselves outnumbered’
- ‘Since the Bloomfieldian was not permitted to define the meaning of a word in terms of mental events, he was forced to refer to external situations to express the meaning of a phrase.’
- ‘Various Bloomfieldians continued to refine and experiment with this approach.’
- ‘Overnight, the older generation of Bloomfieldians found themselves outnumbered.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.