One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A stain or a spot caused by blood.
- ‘That same night, bloodstains, shirt buttons and cartridge cases were found on the roadside a mile from the town, where it is believed he met his killers.’
- ‘Old bloodstains had dried into the fabric and he had been unable to wash them out.’
- ‘Officers said it was unclear whether the shots were fired at a person or into the air, and there were no bloodstains found or evidence of any injuries.’
- ‘There's also a cell lined with sound-proofing pads, on which fading bloodstains are visible.’
- ‘How was he supposed to spot something like a bloodstain, anyway?’
- ‘There were also bloodstains, so I wasn't sure I would ever give it to her, but I put it in my pack anyway.’
- ‘The room had enough space for a couple of desks and chairs; one desk had bloodstains running down its side…’
- ‘Jason pointed down at a small bloodstain in my carpet that stood out amongst the white fabric.’
- ‘The police ask Sam about the bloodstains under her sink.’
- ‘A concrete bench on an outside terrace overlooking their garden and swimming pool was broken and there were bloodstains on the floor.’
- ‘On the stairs faint bloodstains are visible and their origin unknown, but there are only three choices to what caused them.’
- ‘She smiles when she spots a bloodstain where the doorstop was hidden.’
- ‘When alone in the kitchen, Nora sighs and methodically starts to clean her husband's bloodstains from the counter.’
- ‘We haven't found any evidence, any scorch marks or bloodstains inside the buildings, or anything like that.’
- ‘There were bloodstains on the outside of the trunk area.’
- ‘There are still bloodstains on the floors of the interrogation rooms.’
- ‘Groggy from lack of sleep, I emerged from my building the next morning and looked for bloodstains on the sidewalk.’
- ‘The floor of one classroom is marked with bloodstains.’
- ‘There are suggestions that bloodstains at the scene of the shooting were cleaned away by some of the accused while the police turned the other way.’
- ‘The vehicle had been left in the isolated rural spot with its lights on and the engine running, and there were bloodstains inside.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.