One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A North American plant of the poppy family, which has white flowers and fleshy underground rhizomes which exude red sap when cut.
Sanguinaria canadensis, family Papaveraceae
- ‘The area was called Bloodroot Valley because of the profusion of bloodroot flowers that blanketed the valley in the early spring.’
- ‘The bloodroots flower near her feet as delicate as bible leaves, and slow, persistent ivy kindles on old trees.’
- ‘Another notable treat you will find in the park is a spectacular array of wild flowers like the trillium, bloodroot and liverwort.’
- ‘Harvest herb roots including bloodroot, chicory, ginseng, and golden seal in the fall, after the foliage fades.’
- ‘Wildflowers like bloodroot, Trillium and Hepatica also bloom in late winter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.