One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tubular structure carrying blood through the tissues and organs; a vein, artery, or capillary.
- ‘His eyes had focused on her throat, sharp vision detecting a blood vessel under the delicate skin.’
- ‘It can be used to close off a blood vessel or remove small growths.’
- ‘A catheter is a thin, hollow, flexible tube that is gently pushed through the blood vessel towards the coronary arteries.’
- ‘However, with any head injury there is a chance that a blood vessel in the brain could have been damaged.’
- ‘An ultrasound device then measured how well the blood vessel responded to the sudden increase in flow.’
- ‘As a result, the surgeon decided to dilate the narrowed blood vessel using balloon inflation.’
- ‘When a blood vessel breaks, platelets gather in the area and help seal off the leak.’
- ‘Grypps' knuckles were turning white, and he could feel a blood vessel in his forehead pulsing.’
- ‘As with any injection, the physician should first aspirate to ensure that the needle is not in a blood vessel.’
- ‘This is the blood vessel that bypasses a baby's lungs before birth.’
- ‘In these cases, it is possible for air to be introduced directly to a blood vessel from outside the body.’
- ‘The bleeding may occur externally via a wound or an injured blood vessel near the surface, as in a nosebleed.’
- ‘But when a clot forms in or above the knee, there is a risk that it will break away and travel up the vein to block a blood vessel in the lung.’
- ‘Very occasionally the clot moves to the lungs and blocks a blood vessel, which is a medical emergency.’
- ‘But blood is only supposed to clot when it is outside a blood vessel.’
- ‘He was stabbed three times, suffering a fatal wound to the aorta, the major blood vessel from the heart.’
- ‘Each blood vessel must be closed and reattached to the new area in a process that's meant to last six hours.’
- ‘Usually the sample is taken out of a blood vessel in your arm.’
- ‘I could tell she was on the edge… if she didn't calm down she could burst a blood vessel!’
- ‘Did the bullet penetrate both lungs and exit without striking a major blood vessel in the lung tissue?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.