One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A determination of the number of corpuscles in a specific volume of blood.
- ‘Preoperative tests include complete blood count, urinalysis, and preparation for autologous donation if needed.’
- ‘The patients selected for the study had a normal physical examination, electrocardiogram and blood count.’
- ‘A complete blood count and urinalysis were normal.’
- ‘Because of the side effects of these medications, the complete blood count should be evaluated at the initiation of therapy and monthly thereafter.’
- ‘Routine blood work includes a complete blood count and electrolyte panel.’
- ‘The nurse gave the patient written orders to obtain a preoperative complete blood count and pregnancy test.’
- 1.1 The number of corpuscles found by taking a blood count.‘a low blood count’
- ‘Dad had to stop in hospital over night as his blood count was so low the doctors wondered how he was still vertical.’
- ‘If your blood counts are very low, if you're very ill or if you have other serious health conditions, you may need to be admitted to the hospital for intravenous antibiotics.’
- ‘My doctor told me that I had a low blood count, which might help to explain why I have been feeling so tired lately.’
- ‘The doctors said his blood counts are all too low.’
- ‘Your blood count is extremely low so we're giving you some more.’
- ‘If your blood counts are low, your treatments may be delayed while your body builds more cells.’
- ‘They knew her blood count was very low and we were worried as this is very dangerous if you are pregnant.’
- ‘If your blood counts are low, you might feel tired, making it difficult to concentrate.’
- ‘Initially, George's speech and learning delay were considered the priority because despite his low blood count his health was quite good.’
- ‘Life has fallen into a languid pattern, my voice unreliable and my blood count chronically low and I tend to spend a lot of time asleep.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.