One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Extremely hard work; unstinting effort.
effort, strain, struggle, toil, endeavour, hard work, labour, industry, blood, sweat, and tearsView synonyms
- ‘Again, heartiest congratulations and best wishes on the appearance of this journal, the product of so much in the way of blood, sweat, and tears.’
- ‘He poured blood, sweat, and tears into the dancing.’
- ‘Bodybuilders pour blood, sweat, and tears into their training, dieting, and supplementation programs, hoping to pack on as much shredded muscle as possible.’
- ‘To reach those goals takes years of effort and perseverance - Churchillian blood, sweat, and tears.’
- ‘Lessons learned, it seems, are not taken to heart, or the next generation willfully ignores the hard truths purchased through blood, sweat, and tears by their parents.’
- ‘I'm pleased that you will see some financial return on all of your blood, sweat, and tears.’
- ‘The ‘killer instinct’ comes from years of blood, sweat, and tears.’
- ‘Those particular people, who may exert as much blood, sweat, and tears as any other worker in the company, are not entitled to this provision in the bill.’
- ‘We poured blood, sweat, and tears into that neighborhood and we would have loved to have stayed, but it just didn't feel safe anymore.’
- ‘I bought it back with my blood, sweat, and tears after I found out that it had been a family heirloom…’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.