One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Extremely hard work; unstinting effort.
effort, strain, struggle, toil, endeavour, hard work, labour, industry, blood, sweat, and tearsView synonyms
- ‘To reach those goals takes years of effort and perseverance - Churchillian blood, sweat, and tears.’
- ‘Lessons learned, it seems, are not taken to heart, or the next generation willfully ignores the hard truths purchased through blood, sweat, and tears by their parents.’
- ‘I'm pleased that you will see some financial return on all of your blood, sweat, and tears.’
- ‘The ‘killer instinct’ comes from years of blood, sweat, and tears.’
- ‘Again, heartiest congratulations and best wishes on the appearance of this journal, the product of so much in the way of blood, sweat, and tears.’
- ‘He poured blood, sweat, and tears into the dancing.’
- ‘We poured blood, sweat, and tears into that neighborhood and we would have loved to have stayed, but it just didn't feel safe anymore.’
- ‘Those particular people, who may exert as much blood, sweat, and tears as any other worker in the company, are not entitled to this provision in the bill.’
- ‘I bought it back with my blood, sweat, and tears after I found out that it had been a family heirloom…’
- ‘Bodybuilders pour blood, sweat, and tears into their training, dieting, and supplementation programs, hoping to pack on as much shredded muscle as possible.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.