Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A stupid person.
fool, ass, halfwit, nincompoop, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, dullard, moron, simpleton, clodView synonyms
- ‘This article was so easy to understand, I'm sure even the State Department blockheads will get it.’
- ‘I can tell you that right now, because today was my first encounter with the blockheads.’
- ‘I was nearly married to some blockhead and just barely escaped.’
- ‘It takes a real blockhead with a will of iron to make it worse.’
- ‘This is not the way narrow-minded blockheads behave.’
- ‘I figure I can trick a couple of blockheads into believing that I am going to take you two back to the boss.’
- ‘Apparently he didn't appreciate my efforts because suddenly he jumped to his feet and reverted back to his blockhead ways.’
- ‘After a long, tiresome, journey, me and those blockheads I call my friends, had made it to our destination.’
- ‘There's so much to enjoy here, however, that even dull-witted blockheads like me will whoop with (slightly confused) pleasure.’
- ‘She knew he was right, she knew she should be nicer to the blockhead, but he just made is so difficult.’
- ‘In-Camp training gives us licence to become lewd, loud blockheads.’
- ‘And then the stupid blockhead called Jessie something I never want to hear repeated again.’
- ‘I've had it with all you unreliable, inconsistent, and detestable blockheads.’
- ‘Whatever Doctor Johnson might assert, nobody, not even a blockhead, writes only for money.’
- ‘I muttered under my breath as three blockheads came in and sat directly behind us.’
- ‘Remember how you always told yourself that those fraternity blockheads would be in big trouble once they entered the real world?’
- ‘It is worth remembering that the original Luddites of the early 19th century were not uneducated blockheads who didn't understand machines.’
- ‘I wish there weren't so many hungry kids and so many loud mouthed blockheads who do not think before they speak.’
- ‘They're all designed by blockheads who hold the end-user in contempt for not being smart enough to build their own fax machine out of twine, a loose eyeglass lens and foil from cigarette packs.’
- ‘I'll say I'm sorry for being such a blockhead, and you'll apologize for nearly killing us with cutbacks.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.