One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A herring cured by salting and light smoking.
- ‘Yarmouth bloaters soon acquired a national reputation and the town remained in the top ten until the later 18th cent.’
- ‘Many a person has gone away smiling after eating one of these red herring, bloaters or kippers.’
- ‘The smokehouse smokes anything that stands still for long enough; pheasant, ham hocks, bloaters, garlic, eel, sausages.’
- ‘Around 1835 a new type of lightly salted, lightly smoked bloater was first made at Yarmouth.’
- ‘You can still get the famous Yarmouth bloater though.’
2USanother term for cisco
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.