One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An intense military campaign intended to bring about a swift victory.
bombardment, battery, bombing, onslaught, barrage, sallyView synonyms
- ‘During World War II, the German blitzkrieg demonstrated a major change in the conduct of warfare.’
- ‘The idea of lightning strikes, blitzkriegs, and selective engagement per se is nothing new, going way back into military history.’
- ‘The Germans attacked in the best blitzkrieg style, armour supported by aircraft.’
- ‘The assault was a blitzkrieg attack made possible by months of planning.’
- ‘Another aspect of the centralized Soviet leadership was the role of partisan warfare in defeating the blitzkrieg.’
Second World War: from German, literally ‘lightning war’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.