One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive Used to express annoyance or for emphasis.‘the blimming website is down tonight’as submodifier ‘it's blimming hot’
damn, damned, blasted, blessed, flaming, precious, confounded, rottenView synonyms
- ‘Forgot my blimming trunks, didn't I!’
- ‘It's blimming hard, but if you have the determination and a degree of talent you can get through it.’
- ‘It's too blimming hot here in the UK!’
- ‘It's only blimming Friday!’
- ‘Wind is blimming freezing today.’
Early 20th century: alteration of blooming.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.