One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An antibiotic used to treat Hodgkin's disease and other cancers.
The drug is obtained from the bacterium Streptomyces verticillus
- ‘Chemotherapy may be useful at a designated wart clinic, where several patients can be treated from the same vial of bleomycin in a single day.’
- ‘Several drugs are associated with reactive oxygen species generation and lung injury with the most widely investigated of them being bleomycin.’
- ‘In another trial, two of 24 participants receiving bleomycin withdrew either because of the pain of the injections or because of pain after the injections.’
- ‘All except 2 patients developed a fever after instillation of bleomycin.’
- ‘It has been reported that administration of a high dose of bleomycin often leads to lung injury and pulmonary fibrosis in bleomycin-treated patients.’
1960s: an arbitrary alteration of earlier phleomycin, the name of a related antibiotic.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.