One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
verb[no object]North American
Make a bleating sound.
baa, maa, cry, callView synonyms
- ‘It's some bureaucrat blatting off the top of his head.’
- ‘But do remember, after you are done honking and blatting in cyberspace, that nothing you say will make any difference.’
- ‘But when the pair of sheep were driven off, blatting indignantly, we found ourselves in possession of a handsome but completely surplus male Labrador.’
- ‘A half-dozen scrawny sheep blatted at the travelers’ approach.’
A bleat or similar noise.‘the blat of Jack's horn’
- ‘The bishop attempts to deflect attention away from the source of the problem with irresponsible and alarmist honks and blats.’
- ‘Today the bleeps, bloops, and blats just sound quaint.’
Mid 19th century: imitative.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.