One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The opening of the central cavity of an embryo in the early stage of development.
- ‘Both the fate of the blastopore and early embryonic cleavage patterns vary considerably among the Bilateria and have not been assessed experimentally in many species.’
- ‘More accurately, the blastopore elongates along the future ventral midline and the mouth and anus develop at opposite ends.’
- ‘One group, including amphioxus, lampreys, sturgeons and amphibians, displays the primitive condition, with holoblastic eggs and involution of the endoderm through a blastopore.’
- ‘Arrow worms were considered deuterostomes based on their tripartite coelom and the retention of the blastopore to form the anus.’
- ‘In the complementary category of the protostomes, which includes annelids and arthropods, the blastopore develops into the mouth.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.