Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The opening of the central cavity of an embryo in the early stage of development.
- ‘Arrow worms were considered deuterostomes based on their tripartite coelom and the retention of the blastopore to form the anus.’
- ‘One group, including amphioxus, lampreys, sturgeons and amphibians, displays the primitive condition, with holoblastic eggs and involution of the endoderm through a blastopore.’
- ‘More accurately, the blastopore elongates along the future ventral midline and the mouth and anus develop at opposite ends.’
- ‘Both the fate of the blastopore and early embryonic cleavage patterns vary considerably among the Bilateria and have not been assessed experimentally in many species.’
- ‘In the complementary category of the protostomes, which includes annelids and arthropods, the blastopore develops into the mouth.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.