A buttonhole stitch used on the edges of a blanket or other material too thick to be hemmed.
- ‘Continuous loops of yarn are linked together in rows, using a stitch similar to that of the blanket stitch.’
- ‘You are now ready to start hand stitching the blanket stitch around the blankets.’
- ‘There's a short list of embroidery stitch correspondances (e.g. blanket stitch = binding).’
- ‘Remember that approximately 1 1/2 inches will be lost on each edge when the blanket stitch is completed.’
- ‘Finally, they will use the blanket stitch all around the edges to keep the burlap from unraveling.’