One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A North American warbler, the male of which has a black cap, white cheeks, and white underparts streaked with black.
Dendroica striata, subfamily Parulinae, family Emberizidae
- ‘Palm warblers come early in the season, weeks before bay-breasteds and blackpolls, whose appearance indicates that the migration is winding down.’
- ‘Other passerines, such as blackpoll warblers, American tree sparrows and lapland long-spurs, may be similarly affected.’
- ‘A palm warbler is sighted in a patch of willows, which also teems with catbirds, warbling vireos, yellow warblers, and a blackpoll or two.’
- ‘What makes the blackpoll warbler strike out south in the fall after a cold front is probably not fundamentally different from what motivates me to jog down a country road on a warm and sunny day.’
- ‘Observations of common goldeneye and blackpoll warbler near Baker Lake were farther north than expected.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.