One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Any of a number of dark-colored fish.
- ‘Next in order of estimation come two somewhat smaller species, both of the genus Actinopyga: the blackfish and the deep-water redfish.’
- ‘Hopefully next week I will have many good reports of tailor and bream, maybe even blackfish, as the season is about to begin in earnest.’
- ‘Much of our traditional winter run of bream, tailor and blackfish have gone and we wait for the good whiting and flathead of the summer months.’
- ‘He asked his mom, who kindly informed us that it would be blackfish, a fairly popular fish in many parts of Asia.’
- ‘Many people criticize the eating qualities of tailor and blackfish but if treated the same way as dart, they are top table fish.’
2another term for pilot whale
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.