Choking or suffocating gas, typically carbon dioxide, that is found in mines and other underground spaces.
- ‘Methane gas, water, blackdamp and coal dust have been the major hazards.’
- ‘The water and blackdamp came from disused workings adjoining the mine.’
- ‘If any miners had survived the inrush, they would have been quickly killed by the blackdamp.’
- ‘The dust-choked blackdamp scrapes at my throat and stings my eyes so that even if there were light I probably couldn't see through the veil of tears.’
- ‘The average blackdamp contains 10% to 15% carbon dioxide and 85% to 90% nitrogen.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.