One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A mainly European warbler with a black cap in the male and a reddish-brown one in the female.
- ‘Great-spotted woodpeckers drum while chiffchaffs, blackcaps, chaffinches and wrens sing their hearts out.’
- ‘The cuckoo arrived five days early this year, and birds like the blackcap and the chiffchaff are increasingly over-wintering in the UK rather than migrating to Africa.’
- ‘We have planted over 800 native trees along the embankment, creating a wonderful habitat for warblers such as whitethroat, garden warbler and blackcap.’
- ‘It is expected the chorus will include the blackcap, willow warbler and chiffchaff and others.’
- ‘The researchers cite as an example the European blackcap, a bird that traditionally breeds in Germany and then migrates southwest for the winter to Spain and Portugal.’
2North American The black-capped chickadee.See chickadee
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.