One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A geothermal vent on the seabed which ejects superheated water containing much suspended matter, typically black sulfide minerals.
- ‘The purpose of the journey was to observe the life that masses around hydrothermal vents or black smokers.’
- ‘When scientists discovered lush colonies of organisms surrounding black smokers on the ocean floor, they began wondering how these animals maintained their populations.’
- ‘The bacteria-like organism lives in a hellish undersea environment where water boils out from underwater vents called black smokers.’
- ‘The region around these deep sea black smokers teems with all manner of life, including exotic crabs and giant tube worms.’
- ‘In 1979, he found black smokers off the coast of Baja California.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.