Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A disease of fruits and vegetables caused by bacteria or fungi, producing blackening, rotting, and shriveling.
- ‘Climatic conditions are conducive to the development of several major grape diseases, including: black rot, downy mildew and powdery mildew.’
- ‘It is important to remember that powdery mildew can be a serious problem during growing seasons when it is too dry for most other diseases, such as black rot or downy mildew, to develop.’
- ‘They will also provide excellent control of black rot, but it is important to remember that they will not control downy mildew.’
- ‘At this advanced stage, Phomopsis fruit rot can be easily mistaken for black rot.’
- ‘A site that provides for maximum air drainage which promotes faster drying of foliage can substantially reduce the risk of black rot and downy mildew.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.