One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A movement in support of rights and political power for black people, especially prominent in the US in the 1960s and 1970s.
- ‘However it is argued that without Johnson's actions, Black Power would have a larger following.’
- ‘They wished to influence both evangelicals that were uncommitted to racial justice and supporters of the Black Power movement outside of the evangelical fold.’
- ‘We saw black militancy, Black Power, and demonstrations at the '68 Democratic National Convention.’
- ‘The rise of Black Power discouraged white activists from working among people of color.’
- ‘A generation, across class and colour, awakens to reggae, Rastafarianism, socialism, and Black Power.’
- ‘This is also music that grew out of the Black Power movement.’
- ‘He came into office promising Black Power in the city, then made a career out of gratuitous race baiting and thumbing his nose at the white suburbs.’
- ‘The early 1970s saw the rise of the Black Power movement, led by radical urban-based activists who challenged the paternalism and assimilationist policies of the past.’
- ‘Dumas was a movement writer, and his fiction underscores the wide range of energies unloosed by the civil-rights and Black Power movements.’
- ‘The rise of Black Power in the US and anti-imperialist struggles around the world during the 1960s found an echo in Jamaica.’
- ‘In the age of Coltrane, Davis and Mingus, the music they created was also tied to the emergence of Black Power and the Civil Rights Movement.’
- ‘That was true of the late 1960s and early 1970s, when soul and funk became the voice of the civil rights and Black Power movements.’
- ‘Raised in Harlem, she came of age in the tumultuous, heady days of Black Power, and her politics and beliefs have been defined by the Movement.’
- ‘There was the whole Black Power movement that started in the US that came here, with meetings and discussions - the activity and the demonstrations.’
- ‘Tony's story parallels that of his brother, Colin, and the militants of the local Black Power movement, campaigning against police harassment and state racism.’
- ‘This work augments new historical interpretations asserting that Civil Rights and Black Power were not dichotomous political projects, as historians have claimed in the past.’
- ‘We all know - indeed, Black Power members themselves have come out and said it - that the gangs are involved in the production and distribution of these drugs.’
- ‘This dismissal of Black Power politics is starkly dramatized in a pivotal scene in the movie.’
- ‘Here, he knelt in prayer and withdrew, to the chagrin of his more militant Black Power movement colleagues, who were becoming alienated from King's integrationist message.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.