One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The original gunpowder, composed of charcoal, saltpeter, and sulfur, now used chiefly in antique firearms and in fireworks.
- ‘The news is now reporting the explosive was a toy grenade filled with black powder and a fuse.’
- ‘Filled with an explosive combination of saltpeter and black powder, these were the primitive ancestors of rockets.’
- ‘I prefer to use black powder with the replica Springfield, Remington and Sharps rifles.’
- ‘Stand to the side of someone shooting a Model 1873 chambered for a .45 Colt and loaded with black powder.’
- ‘The real reasons why I like to shoot black powder in cartridge firing guns is it works so well, and it is authentic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.