One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The original gunpowder, composed of charcoal, saltpeter, and sulfur, now used chiefly in antique firearms and in fireworks.
- ‘Filled with an explosive combination of saltpeter and black powder, these were the primitive ancestors of rockets.’
- ‘The real reasons why I like to shoot black powder in cartridge firing guns is it works so well, and it is authentic.’
- ‘The news is now reporting the explosive was a toy grenade filled with black powder and a fuse.’
- ‘I prefer to use black powder with the replica Springfield, Remington and Sharps rifles.’
- ‘Stand to the side of someone shooting a Model 1873 chambered for a .45 Colt and loaded with black powder.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.