Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A member of a militant political organization set up in the US in 1966 to fight for black rights.
- ‘I think that not only the civil rights movement, but even certain black militant groups like the Black Panthers were necessary in the fight against racism and political inequality.’
- ‘She travelled to New York to show her support for the Black Panthers.’
- ‘She did not see white peace activists energetically defending the Black Panthers, who were fighting a war for survival at the time.’
- ‘The most obvious influence on the rap artist's early politics is his mother's active membership of the Black Panthers, the African-American nationalist, revolutionary group.’
- ‘His birth father and godfather were also members of the Black Panthers.’
A leopard that has black fur rather than the typical spotted coat.
- ‘A Hampshire school has declared its playing fields a no-go zone after two sightings of a big cat fitting the description of a black panther.’
- ‘The large black panther, which has been spotted stalking areas of Bexley over the past three years, made its latest appearance last Thursday.’
- ‘They each bore into each other's eyes, circling each other like two black panthers, each afraid to be the first to move.’
- ‘Landing gracefully in a pool of filtered moonlight, the black panther turned with a flick of its tail and loped easily to the south, exiting the pool of light and reverting back to liquid shadow once more.’
- ‘The island harbours black-faced langur monkeys, sambar deer, cobras, pythons, black panthers, bison, jackals and wild boar, as well as fish eagles, kites, kingfishers and brilliant butterflies.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.