One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The advocacy of separate national status for black people, especially in the US.
- ‘National black leaders largely focused their efforts on the consolidation of the civil rights gains of the 1960s, but many incorporated aspects of black nationalism and Pan-Africanism into their political perspectives.’
- ‘Although a man of the universalist left, Jimmy understood the lure and limited value of black nationalism for African-Americans.’
- ‘Black emigration plans unveil the complexity of African American strategies for antislavery, citizenship rights, black nationalism, and familial and community survival.’
- ‘He expresses concern over the growth of disenchantment with Lincoln and the Emancipation Proclamation, particularly since the 1960s and the rise of black nationalism.’
- ‘He provides a useful gloss on the history of dialogue between black feminism and black nationalism.’
- ‘The failures in Newark, combined with the factionalism and disillusion that followed the Gary convention, prompted him to abandon black nationalism for Marxism.’
- ‘It discusses the African American adoption of the Puritan foundational principles of the nation as a way of asserting black nationalism while critiquing white America's betrayal of its own ideals.’
- ‘Despite all the ways in which he is not a nationalist, black nationalism is embodied most forcibly in his character.’
- ‘The most persuasive interpreter of black nationalism during the 1960s was Malcolm X, who proclaimed a challenging critique of King's philosophy of integration, nonviolence, and love.’
- ‘And I said to myself, ‘I'm going to either be a Black Muslim or Black Panther’ because in those days the Black Panthers and the Black Muslims represented nationalism, black nationalism.’
- ‘It was from this class that black nationalism and the movement for racial equality recruited many prominent leaders.’
- ‘The two were no doubt influenced by the civil rights movement, the urban unrest, the mass opposition to the Vietnam War and the spread of various radical ideologies - from Maoism to black nationalism.’
- ‘From anti-colonial revolt to mass strikes, from Rastafarianism to black nationalism, this country has a long and proud tradition of struggle.’
- ‘From the Beat generation to black nationalism to socialist revolution: what a long, strange, incendiary trip it's been, one that has inspired reams of commentary and criticism.’
- ‘Upstairs, seventh-graders are discussing black nationalism and the life of Marcus Garvey, who, in response to racism, urged blacks to create an independent nation.’
- ‘These include the outlook of protest politics, Stalinism, bourgeois nationalism and forms of identity politics such as black nationalism.’
- ‘The play mixed black nationalism, the blues and socialist ideas.’
- ‘The militancy was increasingly channeled into the blind alley of black nationalism and separatism.’
- ‘The afro was understood to denote black pride, which became synonymous with black nationalism, activism, and a radical political consciousness.’
- ‘His advocacy of racial assimilation, his rejection of black nationalism as impractical, and his support for the woman suffrage movement all roused criticism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.