Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A travesty of the Roman Catholic Mass in worship of Satan.
- ‘The actor stars in the film as a newspaper reporter who attempts to track down a satanic conspiracy, only to get caught up in a black mass.’
- ‘So many occult practices emphasize the inversion of the natural order - recall the black mass in which the Catholic mass was chanted backwards.’
- ‘He swears we will witness a black mass and some manner of hideous human sacrifice.’
- ‘According to legend, he sacrificed cats, goats and even babies to Satan, held orgies and black masses, raised demons and was generally in touch with occult forces.’
- ‘Would the devil worshipers ever perform black masses?’
black mass/ˌblak ˈmas/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.