One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A chocolate sponge cake with layers of morello cherries or cherry jam and whipped cream and topped with chocolate icing.
- ‘The birthday table next to us ordered just one candle-decorated slice of Black Forest gateau to share amongst everyone, it seemed.’
- ‘When I ordered the Black Forest gateau, the waiter had to tell me that it was ‘very, very’ sweet, in case it was too extreme for my taste.’
- ‘We finished with some Black Forest cake, which is made by Pet herself, as is the German bread that was served with the goulash.’
- ‘A refrigerated cabinet in one corner holds desserts, with items like Black Forest cakes on display on our evening.’
- ‘Alicia ordered a pot of tea and a slice of Black Forest cake.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.