Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1historical A pirate's ensign, typically thought to feature a white skull and crossbones on a black background; Jolly Roger.
- ‘He looked out the porthole and saw the black flag with the silver bird and daggers emblazoned on it as it had always hung since his first days on deck, so many years ago.’
- ‘She is known throughout the Royal Navy as the ‘Black Duke’ and she flies a black flag from her mainmast at all times.’
- ‘He ordered and some men began hoisting down Robert's black flag with a cutlass and it was replaced with Simon's red flag with a skull over a time glass.’
- ‘The Pacific Northwest is likewise out - too much rain and too many cloudy days make me hoist the black flag and start looking for throats to cut.’
- ‘Could she set sail again and raise her black flag, if only in our dreams?’
A black flag used to signal a driver to make an immediate pit stop as punishment for violating a rule or driving dangerously, or to force inspection of a hazardous condition such as an oil leak.
- ‘In the season-opening Australian Grand Prix two weeks ago, Coulthard took advantage of a black flag to Schumacher to win.’
- ‘It was a relief that there were no penalty points for bad driving as I picked up three black flags - meaning a stop and go penalty in the pit lane - in as many laps.’
- ‘Montoya is disqualified from the race after being given a black flag for a technical infringement relating to the incident in the start where he used the spare car.’
- ‘Which driver was disqualified and banned for two races for ignoring a black flag in the 1994 British Grand Prix?’
- ‘Of course, I didn't want to pass him and get a black flag.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.