One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A duck with black plumage, especially the American black duck (Anas rubripes) of northeastern North America.
- ‘Under low and swiftly moving clouds, the choppy sound was slate gray, a good background for spotting waterfowl, but all we had were mallards and black ducks.’
- ‘Some species of waterfowl in the Bay have declined significantly - especially redhead ducks, which have declined by 96 percent, and black ducks, which have declined by 67 percent.’
- ‘The ponds also attract black ducks, canvasbacks, American wigeons, lesser and greater scaups, green- and blue-winged teal, cinnamon teal, and herons.’
- ‘Mallards and black ducks also dive for pond snails and probably a range of aquatic insects like dragonfly nymphs.’
- ‘At the end of the morning, we stood on a bank at the nature sanctuary overlooking a glassy cove with a distant raft of big black ducks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.