Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1informal A lump of coal.
- ‘When first black diamond lumps were found beneath the ancient Appalachian ground a scene that none expected to see became as common as common can be.’
- ‘The first black diamonds were mined on ‘Coal Hill,’ now Mt. Washington in Pittsburgh, in the late 1700s.’
2another term for carbonado
- ‘Beautiful silver earrings hang from the points of her ears, encrusted by black diamonds and deep purple amethysts.’
- ‘Her black dress, shining from some silver silk material with black diamonds sewn into the hems and lines, contrasted with her washed-pale skin.’
- ‘‘He got her a black diamond with two gray diamonds on the side,’ says the source.’
- ‘They are beginning to consider whether they should start a fashion for black wedding gowns, having very successfully set a fashion for black diamonds a few years ago.’
- ‘Her eyes were like black diamonds, and just as cold.’
3North American usually as modifier A difficult ski slope.‘a steep, black diamond run’
- ‘While I worry about getting on and off the chairlifts, however, my boyfriend, an experienced snowboarder, starts fantasising about soft, powdery snow, half-pipes and double black diamonds.’
- ‘I'll have you skiing the black diamonds with ease at the end of the break.’
- ‘You look at those tempting black diamonds, so colourfully named (Dog Face, Cascade, Paint Brush) and think, hey, they don't look so difficult.’
- ‘Most Vermont resorts are best suited to intermediate skiers, although with 23 lifts and 145 runs - three of which are double black diamonds - there is more than enough variety to keep any skier busy for a week.’
- ‘Jerry went off a double black diamond and tumbled all the way down.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.