One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A black belt worn by an expert in judo, karate, and other martial arts.
- ‘Chris gained his black belt in both karate and judo almost 25 years ago.’
- ‘He had done martial arts since he was five and had earned a black belt in karate.’
- ‘Sensei Ortino has been active in the martial arts for well over 30 years now, and holds black belts in several different martial arts.’
- ‘In 1974 Parker awarded Elvis an eighth degree black belt in Kenpo karate.’
- ‘They also trained the police students who all held first or second black belts in judo or kendo.’
- 1.1 A person qualified to wear a black belt.
- ‘My father is a black belt in karate and I grew up with him, so I was involved in the martial arts.’
- ‘Some judo black belts joined him as they were fascinated by the art that allowed one to throw everyone easily to the ground.’
- ‘Many of them are black belts in other martial arts too.’
- ‘He became an 8th degree black belt in Judo and Aikido, as well as a 7th degree black belt in Kendo.’
- ‘Then she hired a fourth degree black belt in karate and did martial arts training.’
An agricultural district in central Alabama and Mississippi, named for its rich soils.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.