Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An agricultural district in central Alabama and Mississippi, named for its rich soils.
1A black belt worn by an expert in judo, karate, and other martial arts.
- ‘Chris gained his black belt in both karate and judo almost 25 years ago.’
- ‘He had done martial arts since he was five and had earned a black belt in karate.’
- ‘In 1974 Parker awarded Elvis an eighth degree black belt in Kenpo karate.’
- ‘They also trained the police students who all held first or second black belts in judo or kendo.’
- ‘Sensei Ortino has been active in the martial arts for well over 30 years now, and holds black belts in several different martial arts.’
- 1.1A person qualified to wear this.
- ‘Many of them are black belts in other martial arts too.’
- ‘Then she hired a fourth degree black belt in karate and did martial arts training.’
- ‘My father is a black belt in karate and I grew up with him, so I was involved in the martial arts.’
- ‘Some judo black belts joined him as they were fascinated by the art that allowed one to throw everyone easily to the ground.’
- ‘He became an 8th degree black belt in Judo and Aikido, as well as a 7th degree black belt in Kendo.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.