A medium-sized forest-dwelling bear with blackish fur and a paler face, found in North America and eastern Asia.
- ‘However, unlike the black bear, giant pandas do not hibernate and cannot walk on their hind legs.’
- ‘While the bighorn sheep, the black bear, the mountain lion and the bobcat inhabit higher elevations and are elusive to visitors, one is more likely to sight the elk and the moose in the valley.’
- ‘Stop along this byway to hike across broad plateaus and to admire Rocky Mountain goats, moose, black bears, grizzly bears, marmots, and mule deer.’
- ‘By contrast, North American black bears and grizzly bears diverged about five million years ago, he says.’
- ‘This still largely uncharted region of the world is home to Asian elephants, leopards, Himalayan black bears, wild boars, and the sambar deer, a delicacy for wide-ranging tigers.’