Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Either of two cultivated varieties of bean plant having small black seeds.
- ‘Landcare representatives say whilst the black bean is a local species it is not native to the coast and goes against Council's vegetation management plans.’
- ‘Some of these varieties include Huron and Mackinac navy beans, Redhawk dark-red kidney beans, and - this year - Jaguar and Phantom black beans.’
- ‘Since the appearance of organic soymilk and tofu, food processors have also begun to manufacture cereal powder from imported grains, beans and lentils and soy sauce from organic U.S. black beans.’
- ‘However, other relatives are the navy bean, black beans and pinto beans.’
- ‘The raid comes only two weeks after three government anti-slavery officials and their driver, who were probing allegations against ranchers of black bean farms, were killed in an ambush.’
- 1.1 The dried seed of the black bean plants, used as a vegetable.
- ‘For the black bean truffle sauce: In a small saucepan, add the black beans and water and bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.’
- ‘Apples, bananas, green beans and black beans all contain lots of carbs-and they're super good for you!’
- ‘A typical meal usually includes one or two varieties of rice prepared with either red or black beans.’
- ‘When I'm in Brazil I eat our classic stew of black bean, rice, flour and beef, which our cook makes for us.’
- ‘We almost had to re-think the burritos when we were unable to locate refried beans, (or black beans, or pinto beans) but Eric spotted refrys in the ethnic food section.’
2Either of two Australian plants of the pea family.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.