One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A terrier of a breed with a black back and tan markings on face, flanks, and legs.
- ‘BoJack was the spit of his daddy, who was a black and tan, and like his daddy, accepted the run of the place as his due.’
2British A drink composed of stout (or porter) and ale.
- ‘On weekdays you can enjoy $1.50 off wine, rail drinks, and pints - ranging from Guinness to black and tans - until 6: 00 p.m.’
- ‘I managed to bring out 2200 words during his speech, while drinking two large black and tans.’
- ‘He was promoting a range of products such as wax and hair-gel sprays which would have made the Brylcreem boys choke on their black and tans.’
- ‘It was great for a really noisy pub singalong of the chorus after 9 pints of black and tan.’
- ‘Maybe a black and tan would have been more in tune with the holiday, but ah well.’
3informal An event or establishment that is attended or frequented by both blacks and whites.‘takes this guy out to the black and tan every night’as modifier ‘a black and tan nightclub’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.