One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Repress an emotion; stifle laughter or a retort.‘he could have mocked Carol's obnoxious behavior, but he bit his lip’
- ‘The girl beside him had bitten her lip to keep from crying out loud.’
- ‘I bit my lip and forced myself to be calm.’
- ‘She bit her lip; suddenly realizing she'd used the term "amazing" a lot since arriving in London.’
- ‘Ashley felt the beginning of a smile, and she bit her lip.’
- ‘The brunette winced, knowing that Mack had no idea how many times Charlie had bitten his lip to stop the questions that sprung up in his mind.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.