A synthetic organic compound used in the manufacture of epoxy resins and other polymers.
- ‘Certain plastics contain plasticisers (such as bisphenol A and phthalates) which mimic the action of oestrogen.’
- ‘Polycarbonate baby bottles, for example, may leach an estrogenic compound called bisphenol A as they degrade.’
- ‘So far, the FDA and representatives from the plastics industry have resisted these requests, arguing compounds like bisphenol A do not leach out of plastic containers at high-enough levels to pose any health threat.’
- ‘Most food tins are lined with a resin which contains a hormone-disrupting chemical called bisphenol A, which can leach from the tin into the food inside.’
- ‘Epoxy resins are typically based on the polymerization reaction of bisphenol A with epichlorohydrin.’