Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Referring to the correlation between two sets measurements, one of which is dichotomous.
- ‘To test whether or not altruists and non-altruists express different nonverbal behaviours during a self-presentation, point biserial correlation coefficients were calculated.’
- ‘In addition, point biserial correlations between items reflecting patient concerns and demographic measures were analyzed.’
- ‘The point biserial correlation allows the researcher to correlate continuous and dichotomous data.’
- ‘Spearman rho correlation coefficient, point biserial correlation, and multiple correlation were used to describe associations between variables.’
- ‘In a similar way, the short-cut equations for the point biserial and phi coefficients are also special cases of the Pearson.’
- 1.1Zoology Botany Arranged in or consisting of two series or rows.
- ‘As in non - stelleroid echinoderms, asteroid ambulacrals form a biserial column.’
- ‘Some rhipidocystids have standard biserial brachioles whereas others have uniserial brachioles.’
- ‘Uniserial budding produces a chain (runner or branch) one zooid wide, whereas, colonies that are biserial, zooids share one wall and result in a strip two zooids wide.’
- ‘Another biserial morphotype with a coiled pattern is produced by relatively narrow ranges of all parameters and resembles simple spiral morphotypes with two series of chambers.’
- ‘For instance, they cannot model gradual or abrupt changes of growth modes that cause different chamber arrangements during ontogeny, such as planispiral and switching to biserial or streptospiral to uniserial.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.