One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Indian dish made with highly seasoned rice and meat, fish, or vegetables.
- ‘At a reception this week, a rice dish, or biryani, was studded with fat chunks of saffron-flavored lobster, promoting digestion, yes, but also delicious.’
- ‘The menu includes homemade curries and biryanis and exotic dishes such as avulose unda, puttu, kadala and pazham pori.’
- ‘These include Indian pilaf and biriani dishes; meat and poultry preparations such as Shahi raan (royal roast leg of lamb with saffron raisin sauce); and desserts such as kheer.’
- ‘The buffet will have two types of non-veg. biryanis, and one veg. biryani, accompanied by salads and three desserts.’
- ‘There will be two non-vegetarian and two vegetarian biriyani dishes every day.’
- ‘Team these with biryani, curried shrimp noodles, fried rice in roasted chilli paste, and grilled spring chicken.’
- ‘Louise, being vegetarian, had fewer options, including chana masala, sag aloo and vegetable biryani.’
- ‘For supper, those travelling in the economy and executive class are being offered chicken biriyani or vegetable biriyani.’
- ‘Our oysters tasted fresh and the chicken biryani had a good Indian flavour to it.’
- ‘With a quick demo of every day dishes that could be cooked, from snacks, biryani and curries to cakes, the master chef sure made the microwave cooking seem easy and convenient.’
- ‘The large selection of vegetarian entrées starts at $7.95 for red lentils cooked with onions, tomatoes and cumin, and runs up to $12.95 for the vegetable biryani.’
- ‘Malabar's own dishes such as biriyani, pathiri, halwa, banana chips, etc., can hardly escape a gourmet's attention.’
- ‘The biryani, cooked with pilau rice and served with a vegetable curry, was a little hotter than you would expect from a usually mild dish, but that extra spice solicited no complaints.’
- ‘The Bay's menu is vast, featuring traditional dishes of every kind including balti, tandoori, biryani, korma, bhuna, rogan josh - and even English dishes.’
- ‘At weddings, a common food is biryani, a rice dish with lamb or beef and a blend of spices, particularly saffron.’
- ‘Among the items are curd rice, vegetable biriyani, tandoori naan/roti, tomato garlic rasam, choice of dosas, appam, vendakka pachadi, ulli chena thiyal, kaalan and olan.’
- ‘The average vegetable biryani contains 685 calories and 43g of fat, apparently.’
- ‘They trooped to the stalls put up by Annapoorna and Elite hotels and happily dug into fish biriyani, fish fried rice, fish with chapatti and just good ol’ fish.’
- ‘The British consumer, long familiar with biryanis and bhunas and increasingly sophisticated about spicy flavours, is ready to try something new.’
- ‘I give him time to get away, then walk down Peachy Hill to get away from his intrusion, and get a vegetable biriani from an Indian restaurant.’
Urdu, from Persian biryāni, from biriyān ‘fried, grilled’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.