One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gemstone popularly associated with the month or astrological sign of one's birth.
- ‘One way to do this is put a diamond in the center with the birthstones of the couple on either side.’
- ‘There's also a matching pair of earrings and a ring with my birthstone, the blue topaz, in the middle and a diamond on either side of it.’
- ‘Combined with birthstones and semi-precious gems, the necklaces also make stylish, yet affordable gifts for friends and acquaintances.’
- ‘In the center were small and tasteful stones representing each of their birthstones: emerald for him and sapphire for her.’
- ‘Her birthstone was ruby and her eyes were brown.’
- ‘Anyway, some people go by month when determining birthstones, others go by the zodiac.’
- ‘Which is the birthstone for the month of September?’
- ‘The attractive strings of pearls from Hyderabad, birthstones and a wide array of semi-precious stones from exotic places add to the finery.’
- ‘Different months of the year have corresponding flowers, much like birthstones.’
- ‘My cousin Liz commented on it last week - it's amethyst, our shared birthstone.’
- ‘Gems and birthstones are becoming more popular, as are styles such as solitaire diamonds, cluster rings and diamond set rings with small stones or gems set on either side.’
- ‘Once again I had forgotten about the necklace Jeremy had given me, the one that had our birthstones on it, the one that had helped bring us back together in Mexico.’
- ‘There has been some indication of support for birthstones in terms of their marketability as collector items.’
- ‘Some products on display would be necklaces, bangles, full and half-sets, pendants, coins, precious and semi-precious stones besides of course, birthstones of exquisite designs.’
- ‘Inside lay a silver necklace with my birthstone in it.’
- ‘He bought her a silver necklace that says mom and each letter is comprised of a different birthstone, his; hers; and the baby's due date.’
- ‘The range of display includes necklaces, bangles, pendants, coins, designer jewellery, birthstones and exquisite designer jewellery pieces.’
- ‘For example, the months of January and February on the calendar display an appealing emerald piece, along with facts on the birthstone.’
- ‘Personalize the gift with a special saying, your children's names, birthstones, gold, silver, a special charm, etc.’
- ‘She would happily model the latest piece of jewelry he'd bought her, ranging from bright, gorgeous earrings to delicate, sparkling rings, dotted with her birthstone.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.