Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An unusual and typically permanent brown or red mark on someone's body from birth.
naevus, strawberry mark, port wine stainView synonyms
- ‘When she felt uncomfortable, Claire would glance down at her birthmark on the dorsal area of her left wrist.’
- ‘The presence of a large number of non-cancerous birthmarks may also be a risk factor.’
- ‘Vascular birthmarks can be internal, or form an external birthmark and can be disfiguring, especially if formed on the face.’
- ‘Don't let unusual moles or birthmarks go unchecked.’
- ‘We've taken out freckles, birthmarks, scars, blemishes, excess fat, and body hair.’
- ‘Some of the children have birthmarks or birth defects that correspond to wounds or other marks on the deceased person.’
- ‘Did you say the guy had a birthmark on his wrist?’
- ‘Pulse dye lasers have been used to treat spider veins on the face and legs, port wine birthmarks, warts, rosacea, stretch marks and scars.’
- ‘Hemangiomas, or raised red birthmarks caused by blood vessel changes, may also be present.’
- ‘Freckles can appear similar to and are sometimes confused with pigmented naevi, birthmarks, or moles.’
- ‘Nipples, birthmarks, moles, or beauty marks may appear darker during pregnancy.’
- ‘The first symptoms most commonly noted in children are skin lesions, including birthmarks, tumors, and other growths.’
- ‘He had blue eyes, quite a rounded chin bone and a strawberry-type birthmark on the nape of his neck.’
- ‘The spinal cord does not protrude through the skin, although a patch of hair, a birthmark, or a dimple may be present on the skin over the lower spine.’
- ‘The physician should examine the entire spine for areas of redness, scars, blisters, lipomata, hairy patches, birthmarks and cafe-au-lait spots.’
- ‘Other types of birthmarks may require different management from that of hemangiomas.’
- ‘It is larger than the other birthmarks and it can spread to other parts of the body via the blood stream.’
- ‘They asked how old we were and if we had any birthmarks.’
- ‘It is very easy to disguise most birthmarks and freckles with makeup; there is an endless supply on sale.’
- ‘Take this visual tour to familiarize yourself with the rashes and birthmarks that affect numerous newborns and infants.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.