One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who doubts the legitimacy of Barack Obama's presidency because of a conspiracy theory that Obama is not a natural-born US citizen.
- ‘So the birthers demand his full certificate and claim that the document provided is a fraud.’
- ‘This all goes back to that birthers conspiracy about the Hawaiian born Mr. Obama.’
- ‘He said he had been misquoted and attacked the news media for linking him to so-called birthers, who believe Obama was born in Kenya.’
- ‘The birther movement may be premised on a fictional belief, but it is savvy: birthers now wear the term as a badge of honor, as if they were a persecuted minority."’
- ‘Over the past year Sankey has been at the centre of some of the most aggressive efforts by the Birthers to unseat the president.’
- ‘And several leading Republicans, including the chairman of the national party, Michael Steele, have urged the leaders of the "birther movement" to drop the matter.’
- ‘A vocal group of conspiracy theorists known as "birthers" had claimed that the United States' first African-American president was born in Kenya, not Hawaii, and was thus ineligible for office.’
- ‘The election of America's first Black president spawned the Birthers, who continue to deny Barack Obama's U. S. citizenship and thus his legitimacy as president.’
- ‘Democrats in Arizona are blasting the birther bill along with the tough immigration measure that's now sitting on the governor's desk and is likely to wind up in court if she decides to sign it into law.’
- ‘Senator Dick Durbin has suggested that the birthers and the health care protesters are one and the same; we don't know how many of the protesters are birthers, but it wouldn't be surprising if it's a substantial fraction.’
- ‘Supporters of the birth certificate theory, known as 'Birthers,' believe the Certification of Live Birth produced by the state of Hawaii is a forgery.’
- ‘That is, the driving force behind the town hall mobs is probably the same cultural and racial anxiety that's behind the "birther" movement, which denies Mr. Obama's citizenship.’
- ‘And over on CNN, Lou Dobbs has joined the ranks of the so-called birthers, demanding that Mr. Obama prove he was born in the United States.’
- ‘In retrospect, it is tempting to see the Clinton impeachment as having ushered in the feral reality of politics today: the birthers, the Tea Party movement, a Congress where old-fashioned legislative victory has given way to the insatiable appetite for annihilation.’
- ‘So much discussion has taken place that the White House says it has stopped monitoring it and the Republican National Committee has distanced itself from the so-called "birther movement," whose members insist that Mr. Obama was born in Kenya and not Hawaii.’
- ‘But the Birthers are unlike previous movements in that they are focused on who Obama is rather than what he does.’
- ‘Whether or not Obama is a citizen is not a core conservative principle and even the birthers would not argue as such.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.