One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The number of live births per thousand of population per year.
- ‘Statistics from the period show that the birth rate for Turks was about two percent compared to just above zero for Bulgarians.’
- ‘One could also speculate on the link to the low birth rate, which usually is ascribed to an under-performing economy.’
- ‘With the oldest population in the world and the lowest birth rate, Japan's crisis is just beginning.’
- ‘A declining birth rate not only means fewer kids but also an ageing population.’
- ‘The birth rate in the U.S. is much higher than in European countries like Sweden and Switzerland.’
- ‘The rise in the world's population is slowing down: India now has a birth rate lower than America in the 1950s.’
- ‘The main reason for the stagnant population was the birth rate, which plummeted after 1965.’
- ‘A drop in population had to impact the birth rate which, in turn, would have an impact on future population figures.’
- ‘With a declining birth rate and an ageing population, the first minister says they need fresh talent.’
- ‘Catholics had a birth rate approximately double that of the Protestant population.’
- ‘In general the death rate is four for every thousand, while the birth rate is twenty-nine for every thousand.’
- ‘The birth rate has been described as exceptional and has delighted park rangers, who would normally expect only two joeys to be born annually.’
- ‘The increasing demand is linked to a rising birth rate in the area bucking the national trend, which shows a decline.’
- ‘At a public meeting held for residents, numerous people raised the point of what would happen if the birth rate rose and there were no places for the children.’
- ‘Poverty is also contributing to the falling birth rate.’
- ‘France tries to boost its falling birth rate with more money for mothers.’
- ‘The United States will stabilize its population by 2040 at the current birth rate.’
- ‘If they were relevant, the birth rate among the poor would be significantly lower than among better off families, which has never been the case.’
- ‘She asserts that the community's death rate has risen sharply, while the birth rate has crashed.’
- ‘In that period, the business birth rate actually fell from 30.4 to 27.5 per 10,000 adults.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.