One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An official document issued to record a person's birth, including such identifying data as name, gender, date of birth, place of birth, and parentage.
- ‘The new birth certificate issued in Moscow was even less of a problem and only took two days to secure.’
- ‘But he has turned down the permit and continues his battle to secure a birth certificate and passport.’
- ‘It is the false birth certificate that the applicant produces that is really looked at.’
- ‘The second was the issue of the birth certificate and whether or not that would be altered to reflect the plaintiff's name.’
- ‘At first, she was told she could not see her husband because her birth certificate and marriage certificate were in English.’
- ‘The birth certificate issued by municipal offices in Punjab has a distinct compulsory column for caste.’
- ‘Even if the father's name is on the birth certificate, he has no automatic right to be a guardian to his child.’
- ‘His mother told him almost nothing when he confronted her with the birth certificate and his true identity.’
- ‘I am examining whether I can change the name on my birth certificate to Bruce.’
- ‘I think I can just tell them that we don't have his birth certificate and it'll be fine.’
- ‘As a matter of fact, the name printed in my birth certificate was Susan and not Sue.’
- ‘They didn't want money or photos, but they did need a certified copy of my birth certificate.’
- ‘One particular father said he had arranged with the mother of the child that he would not be named on the birth certificate.’
- ‘I know to get a passport you need to use your national identity card and a birth certificate.’
- ‘Short films after each programme give practical tips, from how to access war records to what a birth certificate can reveal.’
- ‘Having a birth certificate in her name is a basic legal right, adds Lydia.’
- ‘I am returning a signed copy of the letter, together with my birth certificate and two front door keys which were in my aunt's purse.’
- ‘If a new child is born, parents must submit a birth certificate to receive infant formula.’
- ‘A birth certificate and two passport photographs are required when joining.’
- ‘The claimant's birth certificate and school leaving certificates still need to be verified by the Indian authorities.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.