One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An official document issued to record a person's birth, including such identifying data as name, gender, date of birth, place of birth, and parentage.
- ‘As a matter of fact, the name printed in my birth certificate was Susan and not Sue.’
- ‘I know to get a passport you need to use your national identity card and a birth certificate.’
- ‘If a new child is born, parents must submit a birth certificate to receive infant formula.’
- ‘I am examining whether I can change the name on my birth certificate to Bruce.’
- ‘His mother told him almost nothing when he confronted her with the birth certificate and his true identity.’
- ‘Short films after each programme give practical tips, from how to access war records to what a birth certificate can reveal.’
- ‘I am returning a signed copy of the letter, together with my birth certificate and two front door keys which were in my aunt's purse.’
- ‘Even if the father's name is on the birth certificate, he has no automatic right to be a guardian to his child.’
- ‘The new birth certificate issued in Moscow was even less of a problem and only took two days to secure.’
- ‘The second was the issue of the birth certificate and whether or not that would be altered to reflect the plaintiff's name.’
- ‘One particular father said he had arranged with the mother of the child that he would not be named on the birth certificate.’
- ‘Having a birth certificate in her name is a basic legal right, adds Lydia.’
- ‘It is the false birth certificate that the applicant produces that is really looked at.’
- ‘They didn't want money or photos, but they did need a certified copy of my birth certificate.’
- ‘I think I can just tell them that we don't have his birth certificate and it'll be fine.’
- ‘The birth certificate issued by municipal offices in Punjab has a distinct compulsory column for caste.’
- ‘At first, she was told she could not see her husband because her birth certificate and marriage certificate were in English.’
- ‘But he has turned down the permit and continues his battle to secure a birth certificate and passport.’
- ‘A birth certificate and two passport photographs are required when joining.’
- ‘The claimant's birth certificate and school leaving certificates still need to be verified by the Indian authorities.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.