One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any seed or blend of seed for feeding birds.
- ‘I'd like to see the bird that can eat twenty pounds of birdseed, but nevertheless, I have twenty pounds of the stuff.’
- ‘A wonderful array of birds used to stop by for birdseed.’
- ‘Secondly, it's not birdseed they're giving them.’
- ‘After natural foods like berries and seeds have run out, birds rely on birdseed and feeders.’
- ‘Oh, and while you're there, if you also get a chance to fill Jimmy Carr's pockets with birdseed and take him down the vulture display at the zoo, we'd appreciate that, too.’
- ‘He shipped to a U.S. customer a 20-ton load of birdseed that included hemp seed in the mix.’
- ‘The trees are budding, and the birds love our back garden because we keep feeding them with peanuts and birdseed.’
- ‘Then, I decided to put some mixed birdseed into the shoebox, just in case the bird woke up while it was waiting to be treated down at the vet.’
- ‘Council chiefs said there had been complaints that the birds were noisy and that birdseed might attract rats.’
- ‘I figured the arboretum didn't want birdseed growing all over the place so I used shelled sunflower mixes in the feeders.’
- ‘‘Watch,’ I bravely put my arm round Tiffany's waist and whirled us around with the bag of opened birdseed.’
- ‘Not all birdseed is created equal, and not all birds like all birdseed.’
- ‘They take a bit of getting used too - they're like big bean bags (very heavy!) that smell of birdseed.’
- ‘She grows me some of my birdseed and helps me in the kitchen when I put up food.’
- ‘Insect-eating birds go for suet and peanut butter; seed eaters prefer sunflower seeds, millet and mixed birdseed.’
- ‘I spent an hour or two scraping and repainting, then filled the feeder with birdseed, hung it near the shed, and watched to see who would take the bait.’
- ‘They were fed 50 ml of commercial birdseed and two commercial rodent chow blocks once a week.’
- ‘Feeding birds commercial birdseed helps them through harsh winter conditions, but it's no substitute for improving backyard habitat.’
- ‘Peanut butter mixed with birdseed makes for a great bait.’
- ‘However, the bird has uncanny precision when it comes to eating mixed birdseed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.