One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A collision between a bird or flock of birds and an aircraft.‘40 percent of bird strikes involve gulls’mass noun ‘for a small aircraft, bird strike is a problem’
- ‘Since 1972, when AEDC's Bird Impact Range began operating, a representative transparency from nearly every type of U.S. military aircraft has been bird-strike tested.’
- ‘Councillor Carty said it was too simplistic for sceptics to suggest that moving the dump a kilometre or two would eliminate the possibility of bird-strike on an aircraft.’
- ‘The standards include 16g-seat certification, bird-strike testing to the latest amendments, flight-manual presentations for takeoff and landing performance, and the most stringent of icing testing.’
- ‘For what material do aircraft manufacturers turn to in order to test the resilience of their designs against the very real threat of bird-strikes and collisions with fast-moving debris?’
- ‘The previous system did offer an on-line form to use as a starting point for a bird-strike report, but after you filled it out, you had to submit it via message as a text file.’
- ‘The range got its nickname because, in normal use, technicians fire chicken carcasses at a test target at varying speeds to simulate a direct bird-strike during flight.’
- ‘A faction of radical birders initially opposed the project with horror stories of a holocaust of ‘bird-strikes.’’
- ‘The canopy and windscreen are bird-strike resistant at speeds up to 270 knots.’
- ‘The danger of bird-strike has been dismissed by developers as ‘problematic but not insurmountable.’’
- ‘Through the Natural Resources Division of the Naval Facilities Engineering Command, a process has been established with the Smithsonian Institution to identify bird-strike remains.’
- ‘Based on bird-strike data, efforts are underway to improve aircraft so that they can withstand a greater impact.’
- ‘With the bird-strike inspection complete and the fuel cap reset, we again set out to complete our mission.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.