One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A full colonel, as distinguished from a lieutenant colonel.
- ‘A peer, on the other hand, who commanded a squad of street cleaners in New York City (hence a public employee), went to Leavenworth and became a bird colonel, and for all I know, maybe a general officer.’
- ‘He was the youngest full bird colonel in the history of the army.’
- ‘Cocktail generals and bird colonels need to be leading from the frontlines.’
- ‘And it is not uncommon for anyone to maintain a rank for 8 years, especially at full bird colonel.’
- ‘Easily over 80 years old, stooped and slow, I barely gave him a second glance because on his heels was a full bird colonel.’
- ‘Never mind the news clips you see of full bird colonels standing around watching Iraqis training, barking ‘Outstanding!’’
- ‘A little more discipline in thought would be appropriate before we castigate the bird colonels and stars.’
- ‘There are full bird colonels, majors, captains, and arrogant, pompous wind bags all paid too much and full of themselves.’
- ‘Seasoned bird colonels and second lieutenants who knew less than the students they tutored variously served as superintendents.’
- ‘The division commander only deals with his four regimental bird colonels, the regimental commander just orders four battalion commanders, the battalion commander has four company commanders to kick around and the company commander just has to handle his four platoon leaders.’
- ‘Surely there are bird colonels and experienced combat leaders in today's Army whom the cadets could look up to and learn from.’
- ‘And I count my blessings for not taking the advice of my residency director who was a bird colonel in the reserves to join up.’
- ‘Being young we were standing around laughing, when down the dirt road from the depot maintenance shop came this full bird colonel, with no hat on and the stub of a cigar in his mouth.’
- ‘Here was a full bird colonel calling a major trying to fix what my pride had helped to break.’
1940s: with reference to the silver eagle insignia indicating the rank of colonel.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.