One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The lumber from an American maple, typically the sugar maple, that contains eyelike markings, used in decorative woodwork.
- ‘Birds-eye maple is an expensive and sought-after wood, and its decorative swirls and hardness make it perfect for these decorative and useful boards.’
- ‘This dresser's birds-eye maple veneer and solid maple structure give it a "stately" appearance.’
- ‘Birds-eye maple is a genetic freak of Northern hard maple("rock" maple) that occurs in about one of every 500 trees.’
- ‘He once confessed to owning the prized possessions of a superb board of bird's-eye maple and Moluccan ebony, edged in sycamore, an 1871 boxwood and ebony Staunton set, plus a chess clock by Grant's of Stamford.’
- ‘What causes the unique patterns in bird's eye maple lumber?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.